Friday, 28 March 2014
mushrooming in the rain
The garden seems to be growing overnight. And one of my favourite things about rain after a dry spell? Mushrooms. Real field mushrooms! It's like a fairyland out there with mushrooms and toadstools popping up all over the place. Some of them are the prettiest things you've ever seen.
Just to be clear these pictures are not all the same type of mushroom. We do not eat the mushrooms/toadstools in the above pictures or any fungi growing out of wood. The mushrooms pictured above are most likely poisonous. I just thought they were so pretty, that I couldn't resist snapping some pictures of them.
I don't advise anyone to go mushrooming unless you are 100% sure of what you are picking. Most mushrooms are not edible. Mushroom poisoning is extremely serious. If you get it wrong, it can prove fatal and the rule in mushrooming is, when in doubt don't touch it.
You don't need to eat mushrooms to enjoy their beauty though! It's amazing how they can magically transport you back to your childhood. When your nose was pressed to the pages of an Enid Blyton book, dreaming of enchanted forests filled with pixies, brownies and golden haired fairies.
It's not hard to imagine important gatherings happening among the fairy folk when you see massive clusters of them pop up overnight out of nowhere.
Oh Autumn, you are a wonderful time of the year!