Thursday, 28 August 2014

spring




Just like that, spring has sprung. The trees are blossoming everywhere.
 
We've had a tonne of rain this past week. Flood rain actually. I was just talking about our first rain in months and then, well, it came teaming down. It seems it's either a feast or famine with rain here.

Several of our roads were cut off, although fortunately, it was just a minor flood so I can see no major damage done. The water has already gone down.

I'm super grateful to have our water tanks overflowing with water (such a welcome sight when they were bone dry just a few weeks ago) and the grass is already greening up.

The only place I haven't had a good look is the veggie garden. To be honest, I'm a little scared to see how it fared. Those prolonged heavy downpours can tend to do some damage. In previous flood rains we've lost quite a lot of topsoil and plants, so I've been a little worried about what I might find out there.

In the small sneak peak I did have it appeared the slugs have been having a field day with my Asian greens and lettuces. Apparently flood rains mean party time for the slugs. I fear the bean and pea seeds I'd just planted didn't go so well in the heavy downpours either.

Time will tell though, I guess. Even if we did lose a bunch of stuff, it feels like a small trade off for the water that everything has been so desperately craving.

A pretty good start to spring really. Nope, can't complain.

18 comments:

  1. Rain, how marvellous! And full tanks, what an awesome way to start the season.
    We are straight into 23 degrees, and shearing! Yuck!

    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, spring doesn't muck about does it... I hope we get a bit more spring than we did last year... last year seemed to skip spring and jump straight to summer... hope the shearing's done with soon!

      Delete
  2. The rain seems to do that here too these days, nothing for ages then a deluge. I do hope your veggies survive. It's lovely to see spring on the other side of the world. It's all pears and squashes and autumn raspberries here. Enjoy your weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ- Most things were just fine thankfully!

      Delete
  3. I hope those veggies survived. We are experiencing colour of a different sort...the changing leaves. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh enjoy your beautiful autumn leaves! Love them.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the rains friend...though I am glad you did get some for your tanks! I'm sure your veggies will be fine!! And look at all of that goodness blooming up there! I will be enjoying your garden as we go into autumn and winter! Happy weekend to you and yours! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the torrential rain didn't do much damage to your garden... but, there's always a new beginning...that's what spring time is about..Happy Spring to you and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we have some blossoms on our fruit trees (almonds) and it is starting to feel spring-like. Also had a lot of rain lately - more to come too.. bit sick of the mud now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How good to have rain, hope your garden has survived :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We seem to have hot weather again, so not quite autumn after all. Your spring looks lovely from the end of my summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn and spring are my favourite seasons :)

      Delete
  9. Aren't the blossoms beautiful. Our nectarine tree just did this very thing, so, so pretty. The weather has been glorious today, spring has sprung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the blossoms! They are lovely aren't they!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...