Monday, 4 August 2014

the august garden


Things are dry here. Dry, dry, bone-dusty dry. It pretty much hasn't rained all winter, which means a lot of watering in the garden. It's going to make for a tricky spring if we don't get some rain soon.

And goodness me, hasn't it been a chilly winter around these parts? (Of course I mean chilly by our standards, which means jumpers and a fire going all winter... not chilly as in snowed under for months kind of chilly, which I know some of you guys deal with!) I guess that's linked to the dry as well. Not to sound like an impatient child or anything, but Come On Rain!

The garden's been chugging along, despite needing watering. It's producing a huge amount of food at the moment. We've been harvesting basketfuls of broccoli, cauliflowers, womboks, kale and leafy salad greens. We're still eating carrots and spinach/silverbeet as well. Combined with the pumpkin harvest and citrus orchard, well it's rich pickings at the moment! The cabbages are getting lovely heads on them, so we'll be picking those soon. I'm super keen to get some sauerkraut on the go in my big pot! I'm dying to know if it'll work!

The peas have just finished up. We've had so many of them and there's still a couple of buckets of them in the fridge. I've spent a bunch of time pulling the old spent plants and putting in new things. New pea seeds have gone in the ground as well as some late season broccoli, cabbages and some more womboks.

Most of the strawberries have been tidied up a bit- there's just one bed of those left to go before I'll call them done. The hanging baskets have been re-hung, full of new runners. Hopefully all that love and a good dose of chook manure will mean plenty of strawberries to come this spring.




My garlic has been attacked by black aphids. (Sad faces all around here). I'm trying to get on top of them with some eco-oil, but the damage might have already been done. I'm not too sure what my garlic harvest is going to look like this year. Probably not as great as last year I'm guessing. Hopefully my Dad's garlic crop will do better than mine and I can trade him for some!

I've plans for planting a huge garlic crop down in our bottom paddock next year. I see quite a few farmers growing commercial crops of it around here so I think it might do well down there. Just got to get my act together in time to get it in the ground!

The days are warming up which means things are starting to grow that bit faster and I can almost think about spring crops (corn, beans, potatoes, zucchinis). It's lovely out in the garden at this time of year. Plenty to eat, and not too hot. I'm quite happy to linger here for just a while longer. The heat will come soon enough.

How are things looking in your garden at the moment? Are you battling some pests as well?

24 comments:

  1. You know I would never guess that you all weren't getting any water as your garden looks amazing! What a plentiful harvest as well! And we have had a chilly summer over here and they are predicting that our winter will come sooner than expected. Praying for rain for you all as I know how hard that is to be dry. What a beautiful garden friend! Happy growing! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you get some more summer yet! You had such a long winter - it only seems fair! x

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking amazing............how wonderful to have all that fresh produce...Glad you got the fudge recipe...OMG too delicious. Have a good week. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, we are loving all the fresh veggies!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you are dry, we have actually had rain for once, pretty good winter showers, thank goodness!
    Its the first time our tanks have been filled up for years.
    I was chatting to a chum from Canada and she was laughing at me because I was so excited that it was almost too noisy with rain, to hear her.

    Your garden looks wonderful, do you use grey water at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great you guys got rain! I understand the excitement for it, when it's so needed! Yay for full tanks! I can only wish at the moment :)

      I don't use grey water on the veggie garden (although I'll put it on my other gardens)- we have tanks and a bore (that fortunately is drinking water quality) that we use when we need to! Very grateful for that.

      Delete
  4. It looks amazing. Sorry about your garlic, we just harvested ours and are hoping that finally we have enough to get us through the winter, we shall see. We are in summer mode here, lots of rain this year, and cooler than usual. The garden is doing well, but did get pummeled by hail last week. Cucumbers got hit the hardest and I am waiting to see if they bounce back. Fingers are crossed. Enjoy your harvests, and happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather always loves to throw us some challenges doesn't it! Hopefully your plants will recover from the hail and you will get a bit more summer sunshine yet :)

      Delete
  5. Your plants look great considering the lack of rain. Shame about the aphids. I have been getting the white cabbage butterfly fluttering about and we were plagued by caterpillars. A regular check and pulling them off keeps things under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we've been getting those too! They are pesky aren't they... we've been picking them off as well... they'll pick up here in a few weeks time and demolish everything if I don't keep an eye on things! Hopefully you can keep them under control :)

      Delete
  6. I'm amazed that your garden can keep going all winter. I wish I could get things to grow so well in summer, let alone winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is actually a really great growing time for us! Summertime is actually our worst because it gets so hot :)

      Delete
  7. wow, wow, wow!!!! Your garden looks amazing and how I'd love to be your neighbour ;) Where I live in Victoria by the ocean it is so wet and our garden is hardly producing much at all. Well done and I'll do some rain dancing for you.
    Warm regards, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, all rain dancing is greatly appreciated!!

      Delete
  8. your lettuce bed looks particularly enticing to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy- it's mostly perpetual lettuces! I love pick and come again types :)

      Delete
  9. all your plants looks good!!!
    blessings,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am impressed about your growing in the winter. I am one of those who is buried under snow (though happily) in the winter. I live in a condo and have little room to grow but my little herb garden makes me very happy. And hopefully I'll have a few tomatoes and squash from my pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our summer's so hot, it's not so great in the garden. Sometimes I quite happily take a break from the garden in summer :)

      Delete
  11. For being so dry everything looks amazing! I love all your garden boxes, it looks so organized :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I do like things to be organised!

      Delete
  12. It looks amazing as always! As productive as my summer garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My summer garden is always my worst :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...