Monday, 20 April 2015

Kids Clothes Week sewing- DAY 1


So I've finally done it. I signed up to KCW (Kids Clothes Week)!

Thanks McStitch (aka Shelley) for inspiring me to get my butt into gear and finally join up. I've never done one of these before, but the whole idea is that you spend an hour a day for a week sewing some clothing for your children. I'm hoping I can manage that. Perhaps you'll find me at midnight buried under a pile of fabric, trying to wade my way to freedom. Or perhaps I'll breeze through. Well it's a nice thought anyway.

Usually my clothing sewing is done in a mad rush right before the kids need it. What's so different about a mad rush of a week. Let's get this party started!



I thought I'd take the week as an opportunity to get some more of the winter clothes sorted out. My little girl has asked for "More dresses please Mummy". I couldn't resist pulling this pattern out again. New Look 6016.

If you've been following my flickr stream for a while, you might have a bit of deja vu with this dress. It was such a favourite, when my girl was little. I made it a lot of times!

It's just perfect over a long sleeved top and leggings/tights for the colder months.

Sadly, this will probably be the last time my little girl can wear this pattern. This dress is made in the size 4, the largest sizing in the packet. Why do they grow so quickly?

I love the round neck on this pattern, and I adore the pleats. I sew them further than the pattern tells you to because I just love pleats. Pleats and corduroy must be two of my favourite things.

The little matryoshka doll is just appliqued on with a blanket stitch.

I may have to make a couple more of these before we adieu this pattern. It would only be right to send it out the way it came in!

http://www.kidsclothesweek.com/

16 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, you're good at this sewing stuff. And as you say, it's a lovely pattern, I imagine it's very flattering as well as practical. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ. It looks very cute on- much better than on a hanger :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is just beautiful! The little matryoshka doll sewn on the front is adorable, and such a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter really loves them, and I know she'll wear the dress if I put them on!

      Delete
  3. It's really cute even without the matryoshka doll (but as I am a sucker for said dolls, the appliqué knocks it out of the park). I am also finding that my girls are starting to outgrow some of my patterns. I pulled out my O+S Sailboat last week to make a pair of pants and was shocked to find a) that it only went up to size 3 and b) that my svelte 4.5-year-old JUST fits into that size, lengthened. I thought I had another year, at least, before I had to start thinking about sizing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Masha, I know what you mean, I am having a similar situation with a lot of my patterns being outgrown and I really must sew them up. Need to do all the O + S that end in size 5!!

      Delete
  4. Hello! You're back!!

    That little dress is just too cute :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty dress and a great motivation to get things done. Enjoy the sewing week. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane.... Thanks for the update on the gold eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes just the push I need at the moment, although already starting to get tired. Had a late night at the sewing machine last night!

      Delete
  6. that is just adorable you clever, clever thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Good to see you throwing your hat in the ring! I can do a late night stint, it's backing up and doing it 7 days straight that's a struggle. Looks like you're off to a great start with a cute little pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the late nights in a row... I was good to go again after the first night, but now I am feeling very tired... determined to keep plugging on though :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...