Tuesday, 14 April 2015

new winter jammies



Autumn has officially landed in these parts. The nights are getting a bit chilly, although still not cold enough to light the fire just yet. Which is quite fortunate really, because the firewood task is still sitting on the to do list!

But definitely cold enough to bring out the flannel pyjamas. I started to dig out last years pjs when I realised my littlest boy was in baby jumpsuits last winter. He's outgrown everything! Which means new winter jammies were in order.

I found the gorgeous little fox print in spotlight when they had 30% off printed flannelettes. I bought the last 80cm or so that was on the bolt, which was just enough for these little cuties. Look at that little fella, isn't he just too sweet?

For the the top pattern, I busted out the Oliver + S field trip raglan t-shirt. I think this is it in a size 2. I had a bit of an oopsie and accidentally made the neckband a tad generous. I'd definitely tighten it up a bit next time. The ribbing I used was super stretchy and I should have narrowed it down, before sewing it in. It's not too bad though, still completely wearable. Other than that I was pretty happy with how it turned out. 

As for the pants, well they are just a really basic pattern that I've tweaked and have been making for years. It's a roomy and comfy fit, which the kids tend to love.

Confession time: I always get a bit annoyed with the hem finish on knits. I've tried lots of different techniques, but nothing quite comes up looking like a bought t-shirt. Or it looks OK, but the stitching busts out after a few wears. I dream of a coverstitch machine, but honestly, that's not going to going to happen any time soon.

So I've been experimenting. This is a new stitch I've been using on my bernina and I kinda like it. It stretches out nicely and has quite a nice finish along the bottom. I used a bit of matchy matchy orange thread to dress it up a bit. These haven't been washed since I made them, but the stitch tends to shrink up neatly after a wash too. You can get a better look at it here, over on my flickr stream if you're interested.

There are a couple of other stitches I'm still playing with on my machine, but I'm quite taken with this one at the moment!

So my little boy should be toasty warm for winter now. Just need to get onto that firewood!


18 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous, lovely fabric and beautifully made. The stitching at the bottom is a great idea. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ :) My little boy seems to like them!

      Delete
  2. Great jammies. I like it when Spotlight have quirky fabrics like this. They look very much like a knock off of some designer fabric line. Your hem stitching looks great and I had assumed was done to look cool rather than out of necessity. I'm finally happy with my knit hems but that doesn't stop me wanting a coverstitch machine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think often they are knock offs of designer fabrics! I've seen some in there lately that I was scratching my head at! I'm off to have a look at how you do your hems :)

      Delete
  3. They are so cute. I also hate hemming knits but this looks great. I should start experimenting on my machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My machine has so many stitches, I figured it was time to start having a play with them! It's ridiculous how little they are used!

      Delete
  4. They are beyond adorable my friend!! And they look so soft! Your hem is incredible as well!! He will be so warm and cozy in his new pjs!!! Well done! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole- so far he seems to like them!

      Delete
  5. Great foxy fabric.
    It is lovely to see you back.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. That stitch on the bottom is very cool. Funny to read this b/c up here in the North we are headed into Spring/Summer, so out come the short pjs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love that others are going into heat, as we are coming into cool season (although it's so hot today you'd never know)!

      Delete
  7. They are adorable! Love the fox material, how lucky to find just enough on the end of the roll :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist when there was just enough for my little man :)

      Delete
  8. They look so cute and I love the hem stitch too as it does look very designer to me. So cool. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much Kathy! Nice to finally work out what some of my stitches do!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...