Sunday, 3 May 2015

the autumn garden


Oh the rain!

The sky really let us have it over the weekend with hundreds of millimetres falling over a few hours.

Most of the bridges flooded and many locals were stuck in their homes for a while. The water's starting to go down now, but everything looks like it's taken a bit of a battering!

I had just managed to get my garden planted up before the crazy storm hit. It's mostly ready for the cold season ahead. I'm a little behind, but better late than never right?

The rain once again made me grateful for my raised beds and the drainage they create. Everything fared pretty well considering the pounding it took. And my paddocks might be a boggy mess, but my garden isn't!


So far I'm having my "bug-iest" start to autumn ever. Some type of unknown big brown (what I think might be a moth?) caterpillar has been devouring just about everything. I've also had a return of cutworms again as well. The snails and slugs have been building up over the wet summer we've had and I'm picking them off like crazy every time I go out there.

I really hope the bugs settle down soon, or I may not end up with much to eat out there. Hopefully the cooler weather will slow them down a bit!
 

The chrysanthemums are blooming like crazy out there. It's lovely to see all that colour. The bees are enjoying it too.

There are just a couple of things left finishing up from summer. Some beans and the basil. The beans are just about ready to pull up, but I was hoping for a few last stragglers before it gets too cold for them.
 
I've just finished replanting the strawberries. It's always such a big job, and I don't love it, but you really are rewarded for getting it done. I've collected the new runners from the old plants- just concentrating on my 2 favourite varieties this year. Spacing them out with some fresh manure and compost should hopefully give us plenty of fruit in a few months time.



The new plantings for autumn are spinach (third times the charm right?), rainbow chard, perpetual spinach, 3 types of kale, broccoli, purple/red cabbages, carrots, beetroots, radishes, 4 different types of peas, garlic, leeks, shallots, spring onions, some red onions and plenty of herbs. I want to plant some more broccoli and cabbages, but they'll have to wait a few more weeks.

I just went back to see how that compared to this time last year. Goodness, I was definitely better organised last year wasn't I?!

Oh well, at least the plants are mostly in and I can watch it grow for a while now. Until then, I've got plenty of pretty flowers.

How are your gardens going? Are they all planted up for the new season ahead?


16 comments:

  1. Goodness, that sounds like a lot of rain. I know what you mean about the slugs and snails. We had rain here last night after a really long dry spell and I could see all the snails from the kitchen window sliding about out there. You look very organised to me. It's quite satisfying getting new strawberry plants in isn't it. I put some in last year, but they're doing terribly so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel huge relief when the strawberries are done (we grow quite a lot of them!) They're a bit time consuming, but we love them so much that they're worth it! Hopefully yours will pick up and give you some good berries soon!

      Delete
  2. I have a unkempt non productive native city garden so this is like garden p@rn to me! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks McStitch! My garden was some pot plants when I lived in Sydney :)

      Delete
  3. Your garden is gorgeous! I have no advice about bugs, I can't seem to get rid of mine either, especially the flea beetles come July. I heard about the rain you've had there, that's pretty intense. I hope there hasn't been any damage. Hope you're having a good week so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! The bugs are a constant learning curve for me. Just as soon as I think I'm on top of something, a new bug starts muching. Such is the joy of growing your own food :D I do love it though!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I'm always amazed by your garden too. It's just so big, organized, and lush looking.
    Up here in the far north we just started our spring garden - planted our first lettuce seeds this weekend http://theplaceunderthepine.blogspot.ca/2015/05/garden-2015-update-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah for new starts in the veggie garden... nothing like a new season full of promise! Your raspberries are looking very healthy too!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow!!! It all looks so great, and lush and green. Gorgeous colours in those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love flowers in the garden! I'm always planting new ones, mainly around the outside fence so they can grow a bit wild!

      Delete
  6. Oh your garden makes my heart sing!!! I just love those raised beds - it looks fantastic again this year. Hope those bugs bugger off for you - is there anything you could spray like a chilli spray maybe??? I know my hubby uses bits of white plastic bags on string to mimic cabbage moths and as they are territorial they don't go near them - quite clever don't you think! Cheers, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! we tried the white fake moths to try and chase the real ones away... ours must be cheeky ones though as they were not bothered by them at all... they laid eggs right next to the decoys! I'm not going to let them beat me though :)

      Delete
  7. Your garden is so inspiring. We built a raised bed this year but it does not look anything like yours. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for putting in a garden bed! It's such fun to grow things- doesn't matter what it looks like :)

      Delete
  8. I am so glad you all are drying up a bit and that your stunning garden wasn't harmed by all of the rain. Your blooms are just outstanding!!! And your veggies!!! Man I wish I was that organized with mine! Happy gardening this week! So amazing to see your space! It is beautiful! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicole, I don't really feel organised yet :) But slowly getting there!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...